Friday, June 10, 2011

Hospital Stay



The last few days have gone very well! Bennett had an ultrasound on his head to check the size of the ventricles, and they have not gotten larger yet. There is a chance that he may not need to have the shunt surgery! We will have another ultrasound later in the week to check the ventricles again. He will also have a renal ultrasound and testing for bladder and kidney funtion. So far, he does not need to be catheterized and has great output which is a good sign. I was able to hold and breastfeed Bennett for the first time on Thursday. He latched on immediately and is a great eater! It was such a great experience to finally be able to hold him and care for him rather than just look at him in his bed!

Today, I was released from the hospital which was bittersweet. I am happy to go home to Andrew and Matthew, but it is hard to leave Bennett behind. The more time I spend with him, the harder it is to leave his side. We all cannot wait for him to be healthy enough to come home with us! In the meantime, I will visit as often as possible. I want to see him for at least one feeding each day. It is difficult to find someone to take care of Matthew and also to get to the hospital because I am not allowed to drive for about two weeks after my c-section. We just have to take it day by day and do the best we can.

No comments: